Saturday, March 2, 2019

Creating a Dollarama Forest!







Almost everything purchased from Dollarama...

A few weeks ago I discovered a local Dollarama I didn't know existed so I stopped by and browsed for a while. I left with a few bags of "Stuff"!  :-)

Note that Dollarama is a species of so-called "dollar store" but one that items could be a buck, or $2 or $3 or more, depending on the item. All pretty cheap, though. In the above pictures, the bonsai tree (on left), the other plants (lavender?), the round bases, the cork, the white glue and the gravel all came from the store. The lavender plants came in the wooden holder which I think makes a good pedestal for a statue, or some other architectural feature.

The bonsai tree was one of two or three varieties and cost $4 CAD, including a rectangular display pot (not pictured). The lavender plants were $2 @ including the wooden flower pot. The gravel came in a jam jar sized container. I think it was $3-4 but don't remember exactly. The cork was two 12" square sheets for $2-3 and the round bases were all in one bag for about $2.

As soon as I saw the lavender plants I thought they would make some nice exotic looking trees for my Tekumel games. Afterwards I noticed that there are two types of leaves around the base.

The legion of Serqu trooper in the picture shows how they go with 28mm figures.

All in all, I think it was a pretty good find. Still some more work to do, but not much.

I might go back for more bonsai trees, and perhaps more lavender. How big a forest does one need?

Other things I picked up at the same time include some 12" square plastic grass mats (intended I think for backyard pools) and some plastic dinosaurs I intend to go all "Dr Moreau" on! :-)


1 comment:

  1. Nice find on the Bonsai tree and good work on the scenery!
    I cannot find any of them in Ottawa, do you know if they are still available in Kingston and if so which one? I am thinking of stopping in Kingston on my way back from Hotlead...

    ReplyDelete